Bay Green Properties Group Serving All of Central Maryland!
The groundwork for Glen Burnie was laid in 1812, when a district attorney by the name of Elias Glenn established a county seat near what is currently known as Brooklyn Park. He named his property "Glennsburne".
The name was changed to "Glennsbourne Farm", and eventually "Glenburnie", as the property was passed through Glenn's descendants. Records also show the name as "Tracey's Station" and "Myrtle", after local postmaster Samuel Sewell Tracey and one of Tracey's boarders, before the final decision was made.
In 1854, William Wilkins Glenn, Elias Glenn's grandson, incorporated the Curtis Creek Mining, Furnace and Manufacturing Company into his family's property. The business flourished during the 19th century, and with it came several thousand acres of land in northern Anne Arundel County.
Upon the death of William Wilkins Glenn, his son, brother and nephew began to manage the family's business affairs, and Glenburnie became an official state subdivision in 1888.
Among the earliest Glen Burnie schools was First Avenue Elementary, built in 1899. The oldest area church is St. Alban's Episcopal, which was built in 1904, with many of its bricks dating back to Marley Chapel, an early Maryland parish from the 1730s. Crain Highway, one of Glen Burnie's main thoroughfares (named after State Senator Robert Crain), opened in 1927 and Ritchie Highway (Maryland Route 2, named for ex-Governor Albert C. Ritchie) followed in 1939. Ritchie Highway carried nearly all Baltimore-area traffic headed for Annapolis and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge until an alternate bypass road, Interstate 97, opened in the 1980s. North Glen Burnie is now served by the Baltimore Light Rail system's Cromwell/Glen Burnie station.
Schools and churches were built in the ensuing decades, and construction was completed on Harundale Mall, the first enclosed shopping center east of the Mississippi River, in 1958; it was one of the first shopping centers to be called a "mall" and was developed by James W. Rouse of the Rouse Company (which also developed nearby Columbia, Maryland). The mall was developed in a joint effort with a local Real Estate developer, Charles Steffey. The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration office building employs many people in town. In the 1970s developers tried to make Glen Burnie more urban by building and funding new projects, projects like Empire Towers in 1974, or Crain Towers in 1990, then with the addition of a Anne Arundel Community College branch in the town center.
Public Schools: Glen Burnie High, Southgate Elementary, Marley Elementary, Marley Middle, Glendale Elementary, Freetown Elementary, Monarch Academy, Point Pleasant Elementary, Solley Elementary, Corkran Middle, George T. Cromwell Elementary, Glen Burnie Park Elementary, North County High, North Glen Elementary, Oakwood Elementary, Woodside Elementary,
Communities that fall under Glen Burnie: Southgate, Glen Burnie Park, Point Pleasant, Marley, Harundale, Fox Chase.
Glen Burnie Properties
- Baltimore - Downtown
- Baltimore City - NorthEast
- Baltimore City - NorthWest
- Baltimore City - SouthEast
- Baltimore City - SouthWest
- Baltimore County - Central
- Baltimore County - East
- Baltimore County - North
- Baltimore County - West
- Brooklyn Park
- Cape St. Claire
- Chesapeake Beach
- Ellicott City
- Glen Burnie
- Kent County - Maryland's Eastern Shore
- North Beach
- Queen Anne's County - Maryland's Eastern Shore
- Severna Park
- Talbot County - Maryland's Eastern Shore
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the BRIGHT Internet Data Exchange program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which Keller Williams Realty Flagship of Maryland participates, and is provided by BRIGHT through a licensing agreement. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Keller Williams Realty Flagship of Maryland are marked with the IDX icon and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker.
©2020 BRIGHT, All Rights Reserved. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have Closed or are no longer being offered for sale.
Data last updated: Feb 17, 2020 9:08:am.